Fostering the Role of Worship Houses in Promoting Green Economy
Religious institutions can play a pivotal role in changing people’s behaviors and setting an example in the adoption of new positive practices. This was proven real in our project that aimed at mobilizing the Jordanian worship houses – both masjids and churches – to become forerunners in the promotion of renewable energy and green economy solutions. It thus attempted to promote the implementation of effective renewable energy and energy efficiency goals in an innovative manner – by starting the change process directly from the communities and by utilizing the local opinion-makers as change-makers.
During the project’s run, we implemented the following activities:
1) In consultation with key stakeholders, developed Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Plan for the Worship Houses in Jordan.
2) Implemented pilot energy saving measures in masjids and churches to demonstrate the technical and economic feasibility of renewable energy and energy efficiency investments.
3) Promoted the “Green Worship House” -concept through equipping one pilot worship house with all measures of green building.
4) Equipped the religious leaders with knowledge and understanding of green practices, thus allowing them to function as change-makers in the area of renewable energy and green economy in local communities.
5) Promoted Public Private Partnerships in the area of renewable energy production by creating cooperation between the National Energy Research Centre, Ministry of Awqaf and Latin Patriarchate, private energy vendors and related engineering services.
Environment and climate change
15 Masjids and 3 churches across Jordan
February 2015 – August 2016
The European Union
What we do more
Jordan is facing difficult time economically with high unemployment rates in particular among women and...Read More
environment and climate change
The effects of climate change hit Jordan hard due to its geographical location in a...Read More
Jordan is the world’s 4th poorest country in terms of water resources with an average...Read More
The arrival of more than 2 million Syrian refugees to the neighboring Jordan has caused...Read More
Civic engagement and citizen participation of women, youth and marginalized groups is crucial for the...Read More
human rights of marginalized groups
About 20 per cent of Jordanians live in remote rural communities, and approximately 19 per...Read More